Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Africana and American Studies Librarian
, American Studies
, Cinema & Media Studies
, Cognitive & Linguistic Sciences
, Comparative Literature
, East Asian Languages & Cultures
, East Asian Studies
, German & German Cultural Studies
, Italian Studies
, Latin American Studies
, Russian & Russian Area Studies
This guide will help you find resources for researching aspects of African-American religious history.
Native Rhythm, Chickens at Revival, Wheel and Turn, and Apparition from the Revival Series, Hoyes Museum.
Umbra Search: Primary Sources!
Type keywords into this box to search for primary sources in Black history across many archives!
Critically Evaluating Your Sources
Criteria to keep in mind when choosing and using both print and online sources:
- Accuracy - What is the purpose of the document and why was it produced? Does the author cite their sources and are the sources legitimate?
- Authority - Who wrote the source? Is the author credible? What are the author's credentials (educational background, past writing, experience) in this area? Have you seen the author's name cited in other sources or bibliographies? Who published the source? Is the publisher scholarly (university press, scholarly associations)? Commercial? Government agency? Is the source self-published (“vanity”press)? For online information, check the domain of the document — what institution publishes this document?
- Objectivity - Does the author have a bias, political or commercial or persuasive?
- Currency - Is this information new or based on outdated sources? Can you tell how current it is? How up-to-date are the links (if any)?
- Audience - Who is the information written for: a specific readership, level of expertise, or age/grade level? Is the audience focus appropriate for a research paper?
Religion and History Librarian